Spring Break '16
Posted on 06 April 2016
This time of year Spring Breakers of all ages make their way to sandy beaches all along the coast. Who can blame them?! A beach bum at heart, you'll find me basking in the sun, in the sand, with a drink in my hand, any chance this girl gets!
A short 4 hour drive from home, Destin, Florida has some of the most beautiful beaches around. There is so much to do even if beachin' it isn't your thing!
Here's a peek into my beach bag essentials. I try to always have what I need at arms reach!
- My Yosi flip flops! Decision of the day: what color am I going to wear?
- Tom Ford sunglasses. Make sure they're polarized! Your eyes will thank you!
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen..... [and girl you better reapply]. Coola is my favorite brand!
- Our favorite waterproof hair ties! They are perfect for the messy beach bun and don't crease your hair!
- A TRUCKER HAT to protect your face and/or hide dirty beach hair that don't care. I'm a fan of Eskyflavor Picked up my first one in Maui last summer and now an avid collector! #surferchick #wannabe
- Evian mineral water spray is a super refreshing little face treat on a scorching day. Why not?!
- Don't forget about sunscreen for your hair! You pay a LOT of money for those fabulous highlights....protect them! Kérstase make an amazing product and it smells good too! It also moisturizes what the sun takes out! I purchased this bottle from H20 Salon.
- I carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go, so naturally you'll find one in my bag!
- Lip balm is another thing I have with me at all times! Currently loving this Vaseline brand, but make sure you have something with SPF for beach days!
- A fun coverup and you are ready for a day at the beach!
Here's a close up of my favorite sunscreen. You'll find nothing but natural, mineral based ingredients in all of their products! No chemicals here. Check them out....you'll be a fan!
Hot days call for COLD drinks!
I don't JUST drink water at the beach. Duh. I love to make a "Margarita bar" poolside. Everything within reach and I transform into a mixologist. Having drank many a margarita, this Spring Break I decided to dedicate a WHOLE rainy afternoon perfecting what [I think] is the most sip worthy margarita around. So here you go [and you're welcome]:
All self-respecting margaritas start with 100% agave tequila. High quality tequila is a MUST people. I am a fan of Don Julio, Patrón Silver and Herradura.
Note: you will not find any of that syrupy Sours mix on this lady's bar cart...Don't even get me started on the nastiness!
- Cointreau (just say no to triple sec)
- limes. LOTS of limes
- agave nectar (if you like a little sweet)
- margarita salt
- a sassy cocktail napkin
In a shaker add:
2 oz. tequila
1 oz. Cointreau
1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 oz. agave nectar [optional]
Add ice and shake and pour into glass. Salt the rim [if you're into that] and enjoy.
Sassy cocktail napkins are absolutely necessary. I'm always on the lookout for a new one to make me chuckle.
I'll drink to that!
A trip down 30A to La Vie Est Belle Studio in Seaside is always fun! We sell this amazing leather and pearl jewelry at Emma's and it's always a hit for our customers of any age. I love to browse the studio and select new styles that I've never seen before. So many beautiful pearls all under one roof...if you haven't started your Wendy pearls collection...well, what are you waiting for? Stop in at Emma's and we will get you started! It's a serious obsession!
If all that pearl shopping made you work up an appetite, you're in for a fun treat!
A casual, but fun way to spend lunch is walking down the street in Seaside to the vast array of fun and funky airstream "food trucks." You name it, a food truck has perfected it.
"The Melt Down on 30A" is a grilled cheese lovers dream come true. Get the grilled pimento cheese sandwich and roasted tomato soup. To.Die.For.
If green is what your beach bod is craving, head over to "Raw & Juicy" for organic smoothies, raw juices and healthy beach snack options.
My kids are big fans of "Wild Bill's Beach Dogs" followed up with a snowball from "Frost Bites."
Can't forget "Barefoot BBQ" for the quintessential summer bbq fare. All of their meats are hormone and steroid free.
I could go on and on with restaurants I LOVE on 30A but that's another post for another time!
I'll leave you with my flip flop "shoefie!"
You will most likely find me on a beach this summer [or near one] wearing my favorite Dusica suede flops with kids in tow. If I'm not in a swimsuit, I'll be in my most favorite-of-all-time-ripped-up-jean-shorts-that-my-friends-call-my-summer-uniform look. [rag & bone]
Hope your summer travels treat you well and take you to your own little piece of "paradise."
Remember we're here to help you look fabulous on all of your adventures!